Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Movies

I saw more than 209 movies in 2009 (since 1 June) some might say I have a problem but I would like to call it a hobby.

Worthy of your time: The acting in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” and “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” is very impressive, you rarely see acting like that today. And Elizabeth Taylor is a gorgeous looking woman. I got a crush on her and she have a lot of fun costumes in Cleopatra but I found the movie a little too long and tedious for my liking, but if you want to look at some amazing costumes get some tea and popcorn and watch it.

I’m a sucker for Baz Luhrmann so I had no problem with Australia and it’s a pretty movie visually but I understand why some people hate it so it might not be for everyone.

I didn’t have any expectations what so ever when I sat down and watched “The Wrestler” but it was a pleasant surprise, Mickey Rourke is wonderful and there’s a rumor that Nicolas Cage was at one point supposed to have the leading role and man what suck fest it would have been so good that that didn’t work out.

Maybe it’s more for hardcore movie fans but Metropolis was wonderful, it felt very modern despite being a silent film from 1927. Beautiful but again, not for everyone.

Singin’ in the Rain, easy to like, fun and perfect for a rainy day. Makes you want to sing and dance. And if you like that you will probably like Gypsy too, which also makes you want to sing and dance but also take you clothes of so be careful.

Not sure if I got a director’s cut version or what but at times “Once upon a Time in the West” didn’t make sense but the first half is movie history and a must for everyone who’s interested in movies.

Loved “Rebel Without a Cause”, it was great and I have to get it on DVD. Wonderful movie and again it felt very modern, it could have been done yesterday. I do find it weird that no one has attempted to do a remake, I’m not saying they should (absolutely not) but with such a good story it is surprising that they haven’t, especially when you think about the remakes that have been done over the years.

The Fall”, a movie I hadn’t heard anything about but after seeing a still from it I knew I had to see it, I like pretty movies and this movie wasn’t only pretty it was good too. Lee Pace was super cute, is he single? Anyway… I liked it and it’s a movie I can see over and over again.

Whenever something sticks out from the standard American movies I get happy. “This is England”, the opening scene and my first thought, “This would never been okayed by an American company”, there’s a charm here. I can’t really put my finger on what it was that I liked about it but I enjoyed it.

Sunshine Cleaning”, charming and enjoyable. It feels like, if you liked “Little Miss Sunshine” you will like this movie too.

A Very Long Engagement” isn’t as good as “Amelie” but it’s good and beautiful like usual when Jean-Pierre Jeunet is involved.

2 comments:

Shalyn said...

I loved Sunshine Cleaning, it was a cute movie.

Shelly said...

I know! But I wanted Emily Blunt to hook up with that chick...