Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thank you Sarah!

Read “Sense and Sensibility” by Jane Austen way back and hated it, Sarah said that perhaps it was the translation and that I shouldn’t give up on Austen and I didn’t. “Pride and Prejudice” is still not in at my library and I’m reading it online instead, horrible to sit in front of the computer and read, I want to get comfortable and wrap a blanket around me but I can’t but it’s worth it!

Also reading “Jane Austen for dummies” and it’s fun to see how things worked back in the day. Oh and there was something that Jane said in one of her letters to her sister Cassandra about the art of writing letters, “(an expression) on paper exactly what one would say to the same person by word of mouth” and I agree, that is how you should write a letter. It makes me think of getting a copy of Jane Austen's Letters.

I would love to be able to decorate letters but I suck at that. I would like to have an elegant penmanship. If you got tips on how to make letters cute and pretty let me know.

(I want to send out letters like these. Picture fround here.)

(It's pretty, but can you read it? Picture found here.)

3 comments:

Shalyn said...

I'm sure you could find paper that looked 'old'. But, I guess here's a way to make the paper look aged: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1276283

Annnnd calligraphy: http://www.jennibick.com/learning-calligraphy.html

I learned to do calligraphy when I was younger - not so good at it anymore. heh.

Shelly said...

Thank you, I’ll check it out. I so want to be able to make pretty letters, or at least a card.

xo.sorcha.ox said...

I'm so glad you stuck with Jane Austen. :) And there are many techniques for making paper look "aged", or decorating things "vintage" etc. I'd love to be able to write in script, but I'm always worried the reader will have trouble trying to decipher what I've written...A really nice fountain pen would be good too...And how fantastic it would be if the post office cancelled stamps like they used to (with a postmark and everything)!
~S. xo