Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birds in the garden

The change in the number of birds is absolutely shocking after the cut the wooded area down! I never thought it would be like this but I am sad and amazed what a difference it is now and the fact that no one seems to care what so ever about it. Due to this I will try and keep an eye out for birds that I see.

I won’t mention these birds:
1. Magpies are doing well but they are scavengers and do well around humans (aka raiding the garbage cans) and I see them on a daily bases.
2. The crows population is smaller, they have moved up on the hill where there are more pines left standing, they seem to prefer pines over other trees. I like crows so I’m a little sad that we don’t have more of them here.
3. Blackbirds are doing well too, one of the few birds that has visit the birdfeeder regularly this winter.

Today I saw a Eurasian Jay which was a nice surprise since I haven’t seen on this winter, also saw a woodpecker and I haven’t seen them either. Maybe they are coming back for spring?

No comments: