Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

(Pretty poster)

Okay fourth film in the challenge, Germany, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari silent film from 1920, about 50 minutes long so it will be perfect before bedtime. And knock on wood, silent films are never scary so…

Tea: None
Snack: None (because you should snack all the time, and I’m still stuffed since dinner)

Not a good start, 44 seconds and what does somnambulist mean? Sounds like it has something to do with sleep… ah, sleepwalker, okay now I can continue to watch the movie.
(Funny picture, had to show it)

I liked it, silent films are usually very charming and this was no exception. It reminded me of Tim Burton, apparently the light and shadows were painted directly on the set, background ect and I think that could be one of the things that gives it a Burton vibe.

(Very Burton to me with the curles on the wall. The shadow on the wall is a door, pretty neat)

Apparently they did a remake of the movie 2005 and it seems that they couldn’t come up with anything on their own and shot the thing using green screen and used footage from the original film. Be inspired by all means, I can understand that the original movie gets people excited but use that inspiration and do something of you own.

(2005 version)

(Original version from 1920)

Best thing in the movie: Lil Dagover who reminds me of my mom back in the day, without the Leno chin but I don't remember that from the movie, bad ligh hopefully.

No comments: