Saturday, October 25, 2008

I don’t know if it was the translation or what…

But I didn’t really get “Alice’s adventures in Wonderland”. I quickly realized that there are plenty of puns and such and they were most definitive lost in translations but how much less got lost along the way? She just kept bumping into weird creatures and shrinking and growing… didn’t quite understand what’s so brilliant about it (sorry).

Best: "Thank you," said Alice, "it's very interesting. I never knew so much about a whiting before."

4 comments:

Aimée Marie said...

I think could possibly not only be the translation, but also the fact that Lewis carroll has a different way of speaking. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it more. It's one of my favorites!

Aimée Marie said...

The book is actually, also a definite metaphor for drugs. A trip of some sort.

Shelly said...

I’ll give it another chance one day and read the original. It worked with Austen so it might work here as well.

Aimée Marie said...

Hehe... I hope so. I should read it again too. It has been quite some time since the last time.