Sunday, November 9, 2008

Memoirs of a geisha


My first audio book and I’m not sure I’ll give it another go. To listen to someone reading a story is odd, this one was read by a woman and she would speak with a hoarse voice at times because the character did. Sometimes reading really slow and she put a lot of feelings in things. Sounding mean or angry with there was nothing in the text that said that the person was angry. Story-wise I got a little annoyed with all the similes and such, every other sentence contained some bad poetic description and it was too much.

After I had listen to the book, I saw the movie and there were a lot of changes, some understandable and some just annoying. Since I had “listened” to the book I felt I understood everything that was happening but perhaps it would have been less so if I hadn’t? Love the clothes and the surrounding but the movie was pretty dull. The people I recognized were all Chinese; surely there are some Japanese actresses they could have used? And then there was the language, it was hard to understand what they were saying and again, happy that I had listen to the book so I knew what was going on.

In both the books and the movie the girls virginity was auctioned out and I have always been under the assumption that geishas aren’t prostitutes so I had to check it out and apparently Arthur Golden took that from a similar ceremony held by Oirans.

I should read Mineko Iwasakis “Geisha of gion” instead; perhaps that one will be more accurate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you are notified when I comment back to a comment, so here is my response that I wrote on my blog in response to your comment... (whew... That was a mouthful)

Oh Jenny,

I love you and yes, I wish we lived closer to one another too. I will tell you in my letter what happened. It's a really long story. I am sure he will never be in my life again, because it was a promise he made to his wife. He loved her so much. I am making sure that I am more conscience of what I say and do. I am trying to shut off that "mother bear" part of me that starts the whole ball rolling into "mean bitch". I have more than learned my lesson, but sometimes the punishments for mistakes and crimes against those you love last a lifetime. You should get a webcam so we can have tea with each other in one way or another. what kind of computer do you have? Maybe I can find you one. (if you'd like to do that, even) Thank you for being such a good friend to me. I am so glad that we found one another.